JAKARTA — A video of an Indonesian man’s Samsung phone exploding, setting his shirt on fire has been captured in a CCTV footage taken at an Indonesian hotel.
The horrific incident, that happened at the Hotel Ciputra in the Indonesian city of Semarang on Saturday (Sept 30), when the man’s phone burst into flames has since gone viral on social media in Indonesia,, the Daily Mail reported.
The man in the video, identified as hotel supervisor Yulianto, can be seen touching his phone through his shirt just seconds before sparks began flying from his pocket.
Yulianto reportedly sustained only minor injuries in the incident.
His shirt was quickly set alight, with the stunned 47-year-old seen rolling on the floor while ripping off his shirt.
The Central Java Regional Police said the Samsung phone was a Grand Duos model, which Indonesian media reported was released in 2013.
“Mr Yulianto immediately removed his shirt after the phone exploded. He had no significant injuries,” the Daily Mail quoted Agus Triatmojo, the Central Java Regional Police’s head of public relations as saying.
The incident was being investigated, police said.
In connection with the incident, Samsung told CNET that the device in question had a third-party component. The battery on the used device was not manufactured by Samsung or a company authorised by Samsung, it said.
However, Samsung Electronics Indonesia’s Corporate Marketing Director was quoted telling local media the company was further probing the incident.
“Consumer safety is our top priority, and we’ve contacted the consumer concerned to provide the necessary support, and we are currently investigating the device,” the company said.
“We sincerely wish for our customer’s swift recovery, and strongly recommend all our consumers to use Samsung’s genuine or approved batteries that have been specifically designed for use in Samsung products.”
Samsung has previously been under fire over the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 model which was recalled due to its exploding batteries.
Last year, Samsung recalled the Galaxy Note 7 after several incidents were reported where the handset was going up in flames.Follow @gorkhapost
Govt forms panel to look into vegetable syndicate
KATHMANDU — The government has formed a committee to look into the issues of the Kalimati Fruits and Vegetables Market and come up with a viable solution after receiving several complaints from customers regarding the price of vegetables skyrocketing due to the prevalence of syndicate.
Minister of Industry, Commerce and Supplies Matrika Prasad Yadav formed a seven-member committee on Tusday. Nabaraj Dhakal, the joint secretary and also spokesperson at Ministry for Industry, Commerce and Supplies (MoICS), has been appointed as the chair of the committee.
Other members of the committee are joint secretaries of the Ministry of Agricultural and Livestock Development and Ministry of Home Affairs, Executive Director of Kalimati Fruits and Vegetable Market Development Committee Tejendra Prasad Poudel, a deputy inspector general of Nepal Police and two officer-level staff of MoICS.
Earlier, vegetable traders had halted trade at the Market demanding immediate release of Bharat Khatiwada and Ujwal Dhungana, who had been arrested on Monday for creating disturbance and obstructing the vegetable market monitoring.Follow @gorkhapost