Connect with us

World

US Holocaust Museum rescinds Aung San Suu Kyi’s award

Gorkha Post

Published

on

WASHINGTON — The US Holocaust Memorial Museum has rescinded its prestigious Elie Wiesel Award to Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi because of her failure to condemn and stop military attacks on her country’s minority Rohingya Muslims, the museum said on Wednesday.

The Elie Wiesel Award was presented to Myanmar’s Aung San Suu Kyi in 2012.

The Washington museum’s rescission of its Elie Wiesel Award to Suu Kyi, the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner, is the latest honor to be retracted over her silence about widespread abuses against the Rohingya.

The museum, in an official statement, stated that the lack of action by the National League for Democracy (NLD), a social-liberal democratic political party founded and lead by the Myanmar State Counsellor, and Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, against the genocide committed by the military against the Rohingya community, was the primary reason behind them stripping her of the award.

ALSO READ :  37 dead, dozens missing after tragic mall fire in Russia’s Kemerovo

“It is with great regret that we are now rescinding that award. We did not take this decision likely,” it said in the letter dated March 6.

“As a living memorial to the victims of the Holocaust, the Museum stands in solidarity with victims of genocide and atrocity crimes and attempts to do for victims today what was not done for the Jews of Europe. As Elie Wiesel said, “Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented,” said the release by the museum, who “did not take this decision lightly.”

It has been reported that over 7,00,000 Rohingyas have fled the country in an attempt to escape the atrocities committed by the country’s military against the minority community.

The release stated that last November, the museum released a detailed finding based on research on the crimes against humanity, ethnic cleansing, termed as “mounting evidence of genocide” committed by the Myanmar military against Rohingya civilians since October 2016.

Continue Reading

World

19 killed in Islamist militant attack on Nigerian village

Thompson Reuters

Published

on

MAIDUGURI— At least 19 people have been killed in an Islamist militant attack on a village in northeast Nigeria, a survivor of the attack said.

The militants attacked the village of Mailari in the Guzamala region of Borno state at around 2 am Sunday, according to the survivor, Abatcha Umar.

The strike is the latest blow to Nigeria’s efforts to defeat insurgencies by the Nigerian Islamist Boko Haram group and Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA).

ALSO READ :  Russia warns UK over ex-spy's poisoning

Umar said he had counted 19 people killed. However,an aid worker at a camp that received the survivors, and who declined to be identified, put the death toll at 63.

The Islamist militants had been spotted around the village three days before their attack, said Umar. Locals had warned Nigerian troops stationed in the nearby town of Gudumbali, but no action was taken, he said.

In recent months, the military has suffered its heaviest defeats in years, commanders have been repeatedly replaced, and special forces soldiers have mutinied.

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS