WASHINGTON — US President Donald Trump has signed a proclamation orrdering the National Guard to be deployed ‘immediately’ to the US-Mexico border to combat illegal border crossings on Wednesday (local time).
Troops could begin heading to the border within hours.
In a memorandum to his secretaries of defence and homeland security and his attorney-general, Mr Trump said the “situation at the border has now reached a point of crisis”.
The announcement came hours after Trump pledged ‘strong action today’ on immigration and a day after he said he announced he wanted to use the military to secure the southern border until his long-promised, stalled border wall is erected.
Mr Trump earlier on Tuesday tweeted, saying the US border laws are “very weak while those of Mexico and Canada are very strong”, and that he would be taking “strong action today”.
Mr Trump says that “lawlessness” at the southern border is “fundamentally incompatible with the safety, security, and sovereignty of the American people”.
The document orders the secretary of defence to support the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in securing the southern border to stop the flow of drugs and people.
And it orders the agency heads to submit a report within 30 days outlining what other steps can be taken.
The Trump administration says it is working with governors to “immediately” deploy the National Guard to combat illegal immigration at the US-Mexico border.
Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said Wednesday that the DHS and the Pentagon will be working closely with governors in the affected states.
She said deployment would be handled as expeditiously as possible and that troops could begin heading to the border on Wednesday night.Follow @gorkhapost
3 die as building collapse near Delhi, dozen more people feared trapped
NEW DELHI — At least three people have confirmed died after a six-storey building collapsed and fell on another building in Greater Noida near New Delhi of India on Tuesday night.
The National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) team has recovered three bodies from under the debris of the building that collapsed in Greater Noida’s Shah Beri village.
Bodies of two people were first recovered from the remains of the four-storey building at around 1:15 am. Six hour later, a third body was recovered. A woman is among those who died in the collapse.
At least a dozen more people including children are feared trapped in the debris,the police say.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has directed the Gautam Budh Nagar district magistrate and the police to monitor relief and rescue activities along with the NDRF team.
The agitated locals say though the buildings collapsed at around 8:30 pm, the police reached the spot almost an hour after they were informed.
Meanwhile, three people, including the man who owned the under-construction site, have been arrested, police said.
Eighteen families lived in the building in the Shah Beri village, according to reports.Follow @gorkhapost