WASHINGTON — US President Donald Trump has called off his planned June 12 summit meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in a letter released by the White House on Thursday.
“I was very much looking forward to being there with you,” Trump said in the letter, “Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting.”
North Korea said its leader Kim had made utmost efforts to ensure the summit proceeded and was still hopeful of resolving issues with the US.
But Trump wrote a letter to Mr Kim to announce his abrupt withdrawal from what would have been a first-ever meeting between a serving US president and a North Korean leader in Singapore on June 12.
In the letter, Mr Trump wrote he felt it was “inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting” after “tremendous anger and open hostility” displayed in North Korea’s most recent statement.
“Therefore, please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place,” the letter read.
Kim Kye-gwan, Vice-Foreign Minister of North Korea, said Pyongyang was still open to resolving issues with the US whenever and however.
“We had set in high regards President Trump’s efforts, unprecedented by any other president, to create a historic North Korea-US summit,” said the Vice-Foreign Minister in a statement released by the North’s central news agency.
19 killed in Islamist militant attack on Nigerian village
MAIDUGURI— At least 19 people have been killed in an Islamist militant attack on a village in northeast Nigeria, a survivor of the attack said.
The militants attacked the village of Mailari in the Guzamala region of Borno state at around 2 am Sunday, according to the survivor, Abatcha Umar.
The strike is the latest blow to Nigeria’s efforts to defeat insurgencies by the Nigerian Islamist Boko Haram group and Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA).
Umar said he had counted 19 people killed. However,an aid worker at a camp that received the survivors, and who declined to be identified, put the death toll at 63.
The Islamist militants had been spotted around the village three days before their attack, said Umar. Locals had warned Nigerian troops stationed in the nearby town of Gudumbali, but no action was taken, he said.
In recent months, the military has suffered its heaviest defeats in years, commanders have been repeatedly replaced, and special forces soldiers have mutinied.Follow @gorkhapost