WASHINGTON — US President Donald Trump has announced hefty tariffs on $US50 billion of Chinese import as Beijing responded in kind, escalating a trade dispute between the world’s two largest economies.
“In light of China’s theft of intellectual property and technology and its other unfair trade practices, the United States will implement a 25 per cent tariff on $US50 billion of goods from China that contain industrially significant technologies,” Trump said in a statement.
Trump, whose hard-line stance on trade has seen him wrangle with allies, said in a statement that a 25 per cent tariff would be imposed on a list of strategically important imports from China.
“This includes goods related to China’s Made in China 2025 strategic plan to dominate the emerging high-technology industries that will drive future economic growth for China, but hurt economic growth for the United States and many other countries,” Trump said.
The US Trade Representative’s (USTR) office said the tariffs would begin on July 6, and be implemented in two tranches.
About $US34 billion ($45 billion) worth of imports on a tranche of 818 product categories — excluding television sets and other consumer products — would the first to fall under the new rules.
A second tranche of tariffs on 284 product categories worth $US16 billion would go into effect at a later date after a public comment period.
Trump also vowed further measures if Beijing struck back, but denied there was a trade war after announcing the tariffs.
“The United States will pursue additional tariffs if China engages in retaliatory measures, such as imposing new tariffs on United States goods, services, or agricultural products; raising non-tariff barriers or taking punitive actions against American exporters or American companies operating in China,” Trump said.
19 killed in Islamist militant attack on Nigerian village
MAIDUGURI— At least 19 people have been killed in an Islamist militant attack on a village in northeast Nigeria, a survivor of the attack said.
The militants attacked the village of Mailari in the Guzamala region of Borno state at around 2 am Sunday, according to the survivor, Abatcha Umar.
The strike is the latest blow to Nigeria’s efforts to defeat insurgencies by the Nigerian Islamist Boko Haram group and Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA).
Umar said he had counted 19 people killed. However,an aid worker at a camp that received the survivors, and who declined to be identified, put the death toll at 63.
The Islamist militants had been spotted around the village three days before their attack, said Umar. Locals had warned Nigerian troops stationed in the nearby town of Gudumbali, but no action was taken, he said.
In recent months, the military has suffered its heaviest defeats in years, commanders have been repeatedly replaced, and special forces soldiers have mutinied.Follow @gorkhapost