Connect with us

Main News

Trump announces leaving Iran nuclear deal

Thompson Reuters

Published

on

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump has announced on Tuesday that he is pulling the United States out of the international nuclear deal with Iran, saying that economic sanctions against Tehran will be reinstated and declaring that the 2015 pact was rooted in ‘fiction’.

Trump announced in a televised address from the White House that he would reimpose US economic sanctions on Iran to undermine “a horrible one-sided deal that should have never, ever been made”.

The 2015 agreement, worked out by the United States, five other world powers and Iran, lifted sanctions on Iran in exchange for Tehran limiting its nuclear program. The pact was designed to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear bomb.

But Trump complained that the accord, the signature foreign policy achievement of his Democratic predecessor, Barack Obama, did not address Iran’s ballistic missile program, its nuclear activities beyond 2025 or its role in conflicts in Yemen and Syria.

ALSO READ :  Health workers to shutdown medical services, excluding emergency today

The leaders of Britain, Germany and France, which were signatories to the deal along with China and Russia, said in a joint statement that Trump’s decision was a cause for ‘regret and concern.’

Trump’s decision intensifies the strain on the trans-Atlantic alliance since he took office 16 months ago. One by one, European leaders came to Washington and tried to meet his demands, while pleading with him to preserve the deal.

By the middle of last week, however, it was becoming increasingly clear to some diplomats that Trump would not be moved. “We felt like we were going through the motions,” said a person close to the negotiations.

Even Trump’s top aides had not been seeking aggressively to talk Trump out of withdrawing because his mind had been made up, a White House official said.

The Trump administration kept the door open to negotiating another deal with allies, but it is far from clear if the Europeans would go for that and if they could convince Iran to accept it.

Continue Reading

Main News

Journalists’ code of ethics on use of social networking sites stressed

RSS

Published

on

By

KATHMANDU- Code of ethics on the use of social networking sites for journalists has been stressed.

The speakers at a programme argued that code of ethics for journalists on use of social sites is needed as their status on social sites could raise credibility questions on the news contents.

On the occasion, FNJ Vice-Chairman Bipul Pokharel and FNJ Secretary Prakash Thapa shared that FNJ is drafting the code of conducts targeting the members of FNJ.

ALSO READ :  Health workers to shutdown medical services, excluding emergency today

Likewise, coordinator of digital media committee of FNJ and central committee member Lekhnath Neupane reasoned the need for such code of ethics to make the entire media sector more responsible and decent.

Executive Director of Centre for Media Research Centre Ujjawal Acharya, Chairman of Online Journalists’ Association Shiva Satyal and FNJ central committee member
Janmadev Jaisi also expressed their opinions at the interaction programme on ‘Use of social networking site and development of code of ethics for journalists’ organized by Federation of Nepali Journalists (FNJ) and Centre for Media Research on Saturday.

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS