Connect with us

Thousands stranded as Bali airport closes

Gorkha Post

Published

on

JAKARTA — Thousands of travelers are stranded in Bali after ash from the Mount Agung volcano on the tourist island forced the international airport to close early Monday.

Flight information boards showed rows of cancelations as tourists arrived at the busy Bali airport expecting to catch flights home.
Hundreds of flights are canceled and authorities say seven flights were diverted to airports in Jakarta, Surabaya and Singapore when the closure was announced at about 6 a.m.

Mount Agung has been hurling ash thousands of meters into the atmosphere, which forced the small international airport on the neighboring island of Lombok to close Sunday as the plumes drifted east. It has since reopened.

Airport authorities say the decision to close Bali’s I Gusti Ngurah Rai airport was made after tests showed ash had reached its airspace.

Indonesian authorities raised the alert for a menacing volcano on the tourist island of Bali to the highest level Monday and ordered people within 10 kilometers (6 miles) to evacuate.

The National Disaster Mitigation Agency said Bali’s international airport had closed for 24 hours and authorities would consider reopening it Tuesday after evaluating the situation.

Mount Agung has been hurling ash thousands of meters into the atmosphere, which forced the small international airport on the neighboring island of Lombok to close Sunday as the plumes drifted east.

Geological agency head, Kasbani, who goes by one name, said the alert level was raised at 6 a.m. on Monday because the volcano has shifted from steam-based eruptions to magmatic eruptions. However he says he’s still not expecting a major eruption.

“We don’t expect a big eruption but we have to stay alert and anticipate,” he says.

Previously the exclusion zone around the volcano ranged between 6 and 7.5 kilometers. The volcano’s last major eruption in 1963 killed about 1,100 people.

Continue Reading

News

Hoteliers asked to be sensitive against GBV

RSS

Published

on

By

KATHMANDU- Stakeholders have called upon the hoteliers to remain more sensitive in order to reduce the gender-based violence (GBV) taking place in hotel sector.

During an interaction programme in Tarakeshwor Municipality in the capital city on Saturday, the speakers said that the hoteliers are expected to become more aware since more cases of rapes and violence against women take place in the hotels.

A large number of hoteliers attended the interaction programme organized as a part of the 16-day campaign against GBV.

On the occasion, lawmaker of Kathmandu Constituency No. 7 Ram Bir Manandhar said that partnership among all was needed to end GBV and argued that social networking sites were responsible for the increased cases of GBV in the recent times.

Likewise, Mayor of Tarakeshwor Municipality Rameshwor Bohora pointed out the need for cooperation with the police administration as well as massive public awareness programmes to end such ill practices rampant in the hotel business.

Also speaking at the programme, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) of Balaju Metropolitan Police Circle Chiranjivi Koirala urged the hoteliers to keep the details of every new entrant in the hotels since hotels are used for the purpose of women’s trafficking.

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS