CHIANG RAI — The entire Thai youth soccer team trapped in a flooded cave for more than two weeks has been rescued on Tuesday following a dangerous rescue operation that has gripped the world.
Families are rejoicing after the last four boys were seen being carried from the entrance of the Tham Luang Nang Non cave on stretchers on Tuesday.
Thailand’s Navy SEALs, who were central to the rescue effort, said on their Facebook page the remaining four boys and their 25-year-old coach were all brought out safely early on Tuesday evening (local time).
Several hours later, a medic and three SEAL divers who had stayed for days with the boys in their tiny refuge in the cave also came out.
Eight of the boys were rescued by a team of Thai and international divers on Sunday and Monday.
The third and final phase of the rescue operation began on Tuesday morning, with 19 divers involved in guiding members of the young football team through dark, narrow, underwater passages.
Meanwhile, the rescued boys, aged 11-16, have all been offered tickets to the World Cup final by Fifa but are unlikely to be deemed healthy enough by Sunday.
Doctors expect them to remain in the hospital for at least a week. And, they will be monitored closely to see if they pick up any infectious disease from deep within the cave.
Experts had warned of possible long-term psychological damage such PTSD from the ordeal, including the initial 10 days underground, in darkness and without contact with the outside world, reported AFP.Follow @gorkhapost
Jamal Khashoggi murder tapes were ‘shared’ with multiple countries : Turkey
ISTANBUL — Turkey has shared recordings related to the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi to Germany, France and Britain, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday, seeking to maintain international pressure on Riyadh over the killing of Khashoggi.
Erdogan,in the first public acknowledgement of the existence of tapes of the slaying, has said that officials from Saudi Arabia, the United States, Germany, France and Britain have listened to audio recordings related to the killing of journalist Khashoggi at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.
President Erdogan also told reporters that Saudi Arabia had to act fairly and disclose those responsible for the killing of The Washington Post journalist to rid itself of ‘suspicion’.
“We gave them the tapes. We gave them to Saudi Arabia, to America, to the Germans, the French, to the British, to all of them,” Mr Erdogan said.
Khashoggi, a critic of de facto Saudi ruler Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was killed in Saudi Arabia’s Istanbul consulate last month in a hit which Erdogan says was ordered at the “highest levels” of the Saudi government.
His killing provoked global outrage but little concrete action by world powers against Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil exporter and a supporter of Washington’s plans to contain Iranian influence across the Middle East.