Connect with us

Main News

Syria truce begins under US-Russia deal

Gorkha Post



DAMASCUS — Guns fell silent across Syria on Saturday after a landmark UN-backed truce became effective, the first major truce in five years of civil war that have claimed more than 270,000 lives.

On the stroke of midnight, terminating ceased in rural areas around the capital and the devastated northern city of Aleppo, AFP reporters said, after a day of intense Russian air strikes on rebel bastions across the country.

Monitoring group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said it was quiet in the north of Latakia province and in the central provinces of Homs and Hama.

“I may be up late tonight and hope I won’t be wakened tomorrow by the sound of airplanes,” Mohammed Nohad, a resident of Aleppo’s southern rebel-held district of Al-Kalasseh, told AFP.

The nationwide cessation of hostilities would be the first pause in fighting since Syria’s civil war broke out five years ago.

UN envoy Staffan de Mistura said peace talks would resume on March 7 if the ceasefire holds and more aid is delivered — a key sticking point in negotiations for a truce.

But previous attempts to end the fighting have failed and Russia and the US, which back opposing sides in the fight, have warned that applying it on the ground will be difficult.

“I can’t hide the fact that I’m happy the war has stopped, even for a few minutes,” 24-year-old regime soldier Abdel Rahman Issa said from the battlefield Jobar area on the eastern outskirts of Damascus.

“If it continues like this, maybe we can go home.”

ALSO READ :  Storm Pakhar hits Hong Kong and Macau days after Hato

Analysts have also questioned whether it can be effective on Syria’s complex battlefields, as the truce allows fighting to continue with Islamic State and Al-Nusra Front jihadists.

There were intermittent clashes after the ceasefire began between pro-regime forces and both groups, the Observatory said, as well as fighting between jihadists and Kurdish forces.


Continue Reading

Main News

Red corner notice issued against Deepak Manange

Gorkha Post



KATHMANDU — International Criminal Police Organisation (Interpol) has issued red corner notice against fugitive assembly member of province 4 Rajib Gurung alias Deepak Manange.

Nepal Police headquarters had requested Interpol to issue red corner notice against Manange after the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) of Nepal Police report that he was not in the country.

The issuance of red corner notice means police of 192 members countries of Interpol will be searching for Manange.

ALSO READ :  Govt committed to speed up developmental projects, says PM Dahal

Earlier in January, the Supreme Court (SC) had convicted Manange along with three others in attempted murder case of Chakre Milan (Milan Gurung) and sentenced him to five years in prison.

Nepal police then sent documents to the Interpol headquarters on February 22 to issue the notice, which Interpol had refused to issue.

Manange, who was elected as an independent candidate to a provincial assembly seat from Manang district, has had several run-ins with the law on numerous criminal charges in the past.

Continue Reading