ABUJA — A second girl who was among more than 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in an attack on their school in the northeastern Nigerian town of Chibok over two years back has been rescued, a spokesperson for the Nigerian army said on Thursday.
An emailed statement carried by PR Nigeria, an official government agency which releases information, said army spokesman Sani Usman had “confirmed the rescue of another Chibok girl this evening”, adding that more details would be provided later.
The first of the 219 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in Nigeria’s Chibok over two yearsbefore was found and met with her mom yesterday, raising hopes for those still being held.
Amina Ali Nkeki, 19, with a baby daughter, was found on Tuesday in the Sambisa Forest area of Borno state, and was brought back to her home town of Mbalala, near Chibok.
She was flown to the Nigerian capital to meet President Muhammadu Buhari, who has promised her education will continue.
He said nobody in Nigeria should be put through the brutality of forced marriage, and that every girl has a right to education and their choice of life.
Mr Buhari, a former military ruler, cradled Ms Nkeki’s baby in his arms during the meeting in the presidential villa before posing for a group photograph.
Accompanied by her mother, Binta, and Nigeria’s defence minister and national security adviser, Ms Nkeki spent more than an hour with the President, who made crushing Boko Haram a pillar of his 2015 presidential election campaign.
Earlier on Thursday the Governor of Borno state, where Chibok is located, said the army was drawing up plans and moving into a Boko Haram forest stronghold in a bid to rescue the remaining girls.
A video showing 15 of the 219 schoolgirls held by the jihadist group in April added pressure on the Nigerian Government to secure their release after activists accused authorities of mishandling the case in the two years since their mass kidnap.
Community leaders said Ms Nkeki told her relatives that most of the girls were still in the Sambisa Forest area, but six had died.
More than 15,000 people have been killed and 2 million displaced in Nigeria and neighbouring Chad, Niger and Cameroon during Boko Haram’s insurgency.
First Roland Macaulay Cup to start on November 21
BIRATNAGAR— The First Roland Macaulay Cup is being held in the capital on November 21-24.
To be organized by the Cricket Association of the Blind, Nepal, cricket clubs–Myagdi, Jhapa, Bardiya and Tribhuvan Army–will participate in the First Roland Macaulay Cup twenty20 cricket tournament, said Pawan Ghimire, the Central President of the Association at a press conference here.
The estimated budget is approximately Rs 750,000. The opening match will be held between Jhapa and Bardiya, said the organizer.Follow @gorkhapost