Connect with us

World

Putin warns of global ‘chaos’ if West strikes Syria again

Gorkha Post

Published

on

MOSCOW — Russian President Vladimir Putin has warned that further Western attacks on Syria would bring chaos to world affairs, as Washington prepared to increase pressure on Russia with new economic sanctions.

In a telephone conversation with his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani, Mr Putin and Mr Rouhani agreed the Western strikes had damaged the chances of achieving a political resolution in the seven-year Syria conflict, according to a Kremlin statement.

The strikes launched by the US, UK and France against Syria have seriously damaged the Syrian peace process, Russian Putin said. If such actions continue, it would have grave consequences for the world, he said.

“Vladimir Putin, in particular, stressed that if such actions committed in violation of the UN Charter continue, then it will inevitably lead to chaos in international relations,” the Kremlin statement said.

The warnings come as US President Donald Trump’s aides announced plans for new economic sanctions against Russia for enabling the regime of Bashar al-Assad.

ALSO READ :  US, allies launch strikes in Syria

The two leaders exchanged their views on the situation in Syria after the massive missile strike launched by the US, the UK and France that targeted Syria’s military and civilian infrastructure. Both presidents denounced the actions of the Western states by calling them an “illegal” act that was deleterious to the Syrian peace process.

Earlier, the Russian president condemned the strikes by saying that Washington launched “an aggression against a sovereign state which is at the forefront of the fight against terrorism.”

Putin, at that time, said that the attack was carried out in violation of the ‘principles of international law,’ as it was not authorized by the UN Security Council.

The US, the UK and France launched 103 cruise missiles during the attack. At least 71 of them were intercepted by Syrian air defense forces, according to the data from the Russian Defense Ministry.

Following the attack, Russia called an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council to discuss the aggressive actions of the US and its allies.

Agencies

Continue Reading

World

Jamal Khashoggi murder tapes were ‘shared’ with multiple countries : Turkey

Gorkha Post

Published

on

ISTANBUL — Turkey has shared recordings related to the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi to Germany, France and Britain, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday, seeking to maintain international pressure on Riyadh over the killing of Khashoggi.

Erdogan,in the first public acknowledgement of the existence of tapes of the slaying, has said that officials from Saudi Arabia, the United States, Germany, France and Britain have listened to audio recordings related to the killing of journalist Khashoggi at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.

President Erdogan also told reporters that Saudi Arabia had to act fairly and disclose those responsible for the killing of The Washington Post journalist to rid itself of ‘suspicion’.

ALSO READ :  Bangladesh maintains death sentence for top Islamist leader

“We gave them the tapes. We gave them to Saudi Arabia, to America, to the Germans, the French, to the British, to all of them,” Mr Erdogan said.

Khashoggi, a critic of de facto Saudi ruler Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was killed in Saudi Arabia’s Istanbul consulate last month in a hit which Erdogan says was ordered at the “highest levels” of the Saudi government.

His killing provoked global outrage but little concrete action by world powers against Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil exporter and a supporter of Washington’s plans to contain Iranian influence across the Middle East.

Agencies

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS