Connect with us

World

Pentagon cuts off financial aid to Pakistan

Gorkha Post

Published

on

WASHINGTON — The United States military has decided to cancel the financial aid worth 300 million USD to Pakistan due to the growing concerns regarding the latter’s failure to tackle the militants, according to an exclusive report by Reuters.

Authored by Phil Stewart and Idrees Ali, the Reuters report further revealed that United States President Donald Trump’s administration has accused Pakistan of providing a safe haven to the insurgents, who are responsible for “a 17-year-old war in neighbouring Afghanistan”. However, Pakistan has denied any such charges.

The Reuters quoted a US official as saying that United States Defense Secretary Jim Mattis would have authorised the 300 million USD in Coalition Support Funds (CSF) only if Pakistan took actions against the militants and rising insurgency, but he chose not to.

CSF was part of a broader suspension in aid to Pakistan, announced by President Trump earlier this year.

ALSO READ :  Pakistan Prime Minister Abbasi to arrive Nepal on Monday

The report by Phil Stewart and Idrees Ali quoted Pentagon spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Kone Faulkner as saying, “Due to a lack of Pakistani decisive actions in support of the South Asia Strategy the remaining 300 (million) USD was reprogrammed” and will now be used on “other urgent priorities” if United States Congress approves.

These facts, however, have come to light ahead of the United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s visit to Pakistan on September 5, where, according to Mattis, combating militants will be a “primary part of the discussion” between the two countries.

Last month, the Congress had slashed the security-oriented financial aid to Pakistan that came after the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for 2019 increased the military expenditure and opted to not bring any changes in policy.

ANI

Continue Reading

World

7 killed after Delhi-Bound train derails in Bihar

Gorkha Post

Published

on

NEW DELHI — At least seven people have died and 14 others injured after a Delhi-bound train derailed early Sunday morning in Bihar’s Vaishali district.

Eleven coaches of 12487 Seemanchal Express derailed near Sahadai Buzurg at around 3:52 am. Three of the coaches overturned and the high force of the impact destroyed them completely.

The injured are being transported to local hospitals.

ALSO READ :  Malala returns to Pakistan nearly after 6 years

The superfast train from Jogbani in Bihar to Delhi’s Anand Vihar Terminal was running at full speed when the accident took place, officials said.

Bodies are believed to be trapped inside one of the affected coaches and the number of dead is likely to rise, local police official said.

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS