Connect with us

Ousted Miss Turkey faces up to one year jail over tweet

Agency Press France

Published

on

ISTANBUL — The winner of Turkey’s national beauty pageant, who was forced to hand back her crown over a contentious tweet, is facing up to one year in jail on charges of “publicly denigrating” elements in Turkish society, a report said on Thursday.

Itir Esen, 18, won Miss Turkey 2017 in September but then had her crown taken away because of what organizers said an ‘unacceptable tweet’ she sent around the first anniversary of the July 15, 2016 coup attempt.

As a result, she missed the chance to represent Turkey in the Miss World competition in China and prosecutors also opened a criminal probe against her.

In the tweet, she compared the blood shed in her menstrual cycle with that of the 249 people who lost their lives during the failed coup and are now celebrated in Turkey as martyrs.

“I am having my period this morning to celebrate the July 15 martyrs’ day. I am celebrating the day by bleeding on behalf of our martyrs’ blood,” she wrote.

Turkish prosecutors are seeking up to one year jail for Esen on charges of “publicly denigrating some part of society based on their class, race, religion, sect, gender or regional differences,” the private Dogan news agency quoted the indictment as saying.

An Istanbul court is due to decide whether to approve the indictment within 15 days, Dogan said.

After the tweet was discovered, Esen’s title was handed to Asli Sumen, who came second and who will now represent Turkey in the Miss World contest in China on November 18.

Esen had confirmed she posted the tweet, which she said was written “carelessly” but added that it had no political aims.

Continue Reading

Main News

Govt, transport entrepreneurs strike eight-point agreement

Gorkha Post

Published

on

KATHMANDU — The government and agitating transport entrepreneurs have stroked an eight-point agreement on Friday.

The government has also agreed to amend provisions of the new Criminal Code as demanded by the transport entrepreneurs.

With the agreement, the agitating transport entrepreneurs have called off their protest programs after the government agreed to address their demands.

Tanker transport entrepreneurs had been staging protest since Tuesday against provisions in the penal code, including 10-year imprisonment for accidents and life imprisonment for causing death.

Following the agreement, the ongoing fuel supply crisis is now expected to end.

The entire country has been facing short of fuel due to the disruption of fuel supply after tanker drivers went on a strike to press for their demands.

Earlier today, after nation wide fuel shortage, the Nepal Oil Corporation has decided to start rationing of fuel citing depleting stock due to inadequate supply of petroleum products.

According to the NOC, a two-wheeler will be allowed to purchase 5 liters of petrol and light four-wheeler vehicle will be allowed to purchase 15 liters of petrol.

Likwise, the state oil monopoly has urged the petrol pumps to sell maximum 50 liters diesel to short-route vehicles and maximum 100 liters to long-route vehicles.

The NOC has also urged the fuel stations to prioritise ambulances, school buses and government vehicles while selling the fuel.

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS