NEW YORK — The father of the shooter who killed at least 50 people and injured 53 others when he opened fire early on Sunday in a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, has apologised for the whole incident.
Various news sources Orlando gunman’s father apologizes for massacre
NEW YORK — The father of the shooter who killed no less than 50 people and injured 53 others when he started firing early on Sunday in a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, has apologised for the whole incident.
Different news sources cited law enforcement officials in naming Omar Mateen as the shooter in the incident which killed as many as 50 people and injured 53, including a police officer.
“We are apologising for the whole incident. We were not aware of any action he is taking, we are in shock like the whole country. This had nothing to do with religion,” MSNBC news quoted the gunman’s father, Mir Seddique, as saying.
He claimed his son got very angry when he saw two men kissing in downtown Miami recently.
“We were in Downtown Miami, Bayside, people were playing music,”Seddique said.
“And he saw two men kissing each other in front of his wife and kid and he got very angry. They were kissing each other and touching,” he added.
After the incident, US President Barack Obama called the mass shooting an “act of terror” and “act of hate”.
The White House statement read: “The President was briefed this morning by Lisa Monaco, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, on the tragic shooting in Orlando, Florida. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of the victims.”
“The President asked to receive regular updates as the FBI, and other federal officials, work with the Orlando Police to gather more information, and directed that the federal government provide any assistance necessary to pursue the investigation and support the community.”
The shooter, a resident of Port St Lucie, Florida, was also killed after a “gun battle” with police officers in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Islamic State (IS) terrorist group has claimed the responsibility for the shootings.
In a message published on the group’s semi-official news agency, Amaq, it described gunman Omar Mateen as a “soldier of the caliphate”, The Telegraph (UK) reported.
Although the statement did not clarify Mateen’s relation to the group, but the language appeared to suggest he was viewed as a lone wolf attacker.
Over 20,000 drivers taken action through CCTV monitoring
KATHMANDU— The Metropolitan Traffic Police Division (MTPD) has effectively launched monitoring of vehicles plying on the road through close circuit (CC) camera in Kathmandu valley.
Traffic Police are keeping a close watch on drivers to check whether they are following the traffic rules or not.
A total of 20,024 drivers of various vehicles faced action based on such monitoring. The police begun this bid since 2073 BS and it has become effective so far, said SSP Basanta Panta of the Traffic Division.
Most of the cases were related to violation of the traffic lane and driving on ‘one way’ roads, he added.
The police are monitoring the traffic activities through 460 close circuit cameras installed at the Division Office, Ranipokhari.Follow @gorkhapost