MAIDUGURI, NIGERIA — The first of the 219 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in Nigeria’s Chibok over two years back has been found and has met with her mom, officials said, raising hopes for those still being held.
Amina Ali was found on Tuesday in the Sambisa Forest area of Borno state, and was brought back to her home town of Mbalala, near Chibok.
The head of the Abducted Chibok Girls Parents’ group, Yakubu Nkeki, said the teenager who was 17 when she was abducted, was brought to his house where she was reunited with her mother.
“When her mother approached the car the girl stepped out and her mother exclaimed, ‘Amina! Is that you?’,” local community leader Ayuba Alamson Chibok said.
“They ran towards each other and hugged. The mother burst into tears.”
Soldiers working together with a civilian vigilante group rescued the teenage girl and her four-month-old baby in the remote north-east of Nigeria, army spokesman Sani Usman said.
They also detained a “suspected Boko Haram terrorist” called Mohammed Hayatu who claimed to be the girl’s husband, Mr Usman added.
“Preliminary investigation shows that she is indeed one of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram terrorists on 14th April 2014 in Chibok,” Mr Usman said in a statement.
Activists quoted her saying that her schoolmates were still in the Sambisa Forest, Boko Haram’s biggest stronghold.
Community leader Hoses Tsambido also quoted her as saying that “six were already dead”.
Boko Haram captured a total of 276 girls from their school in Chibok in April 2014 as part of a seven-year insurgency to set up an Islamic state in the north which has killed some 15,000 people and displaced more than 2 million.
Dozens of the girls escaped in the initial melee in 2014 but 218 remained unaccounted for.
Nothing had been heard from the 219 since a video published by the Islamists in May 2014, until an apparent “proof of life” message was sent to the Nigerian Government earlier this year.
Parents had accused former president Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s leader at the time of the mass kidnap, of not doing enough to track them down and bring them home.
Man divorces wife just 15 minutes after Islamic marriage in Dubai
A man in Dubai divorced his bride just 15 minutes after their Islamic marriage as he felt ‘insulted’ by her father’s bride price demands.
The man agreed to pay his new father-in-law Dh100,000 for their wedding but the older man became impatient to get the cash, DailyMail reported.
According to Gulf News, family members and friends accompanied the couple to a Sharia judge’s office to witness the marriage contract being signed. The groom then gave Dh 50,000 on the spot as agreed, with the rest to come after the party left the court building, according to Gulf News.
But, the bride’s father demanded the remaining cash as soon as the signing was over, even though the groom didn’t have it on him.
He said it would only take five minutes to walk to his car, which was parked outside, and get the rest of the bride price.
Instead of letting him retrieve it, the father insisted him to pay either right then or send a friend or relative to get the money while he stayed inside.
The groom felt insulted and demeaned by the series of demands and called off the marriage immediately, a lawyer handling the case said.
‘He told the bride’s father that he did not want his daughter as his wife and divorced her in less than 15 minutes from signing the marriage contract,’ he said.Follow @gorkhapost