Connect with us

North Korea conducts two powerful missile tests

Gorkha Post

Published

on

SEOUL — North Korea has conducted two tests of a powerful new medium-range missile, with at least one launch ending in failure but the other flying a distance of 400 kilometers, South Korea’s Defence Ministry said.

Both tests were believed to be of a much-hyped, intermediate-range Musudan missile capable of reaching US bases as far away as Guam.

The first test shortly before 6:00am (local time) was deemed to have failed, but the ministry in Seoul said the second Musudan — fired from the same east coast location two hours later — had flown 400 kilometres into the East Sea (Sea of Japan).

“South Korea and the United States are conducting further analysis,” the ministry said in a statement that stopped short of labelling the second test a success.

After four failed Musudan launches earlier this year, a successful test would mark a major step forward for a weapons program that ultimately aspires to develop a proven nuclear strike capability against the US mainland.

The US State Department strongly condemned the launches, saying they represented clear violations of UN resolutions banning North Korea from any use of ballistic missile technology.

South Korea’s presidential office said it would hold a national security meeting later on Wednesday to discuss the North’s latest missile launches.

The Musudan has an estimated range of anywhere between 2,500 and 4,000 kilometres.

Wednesday’s effort came with military tensions still running high following Pyongyang’s fourth nuclear test in January and a long-range rocket launch a month later that saw the UN Security Council impose its toughest sanctions to date on the North.

The lower range covers the whole of South Korea and Japan, while the upper range would include US military bases on Guam.

First unveiled as an indigenous missile at a military parade in Pyongyang in October 2010, the Musudan has never been successfully flight-tested.

Agencies

Continue Reading

News

Bouddha registers nine rape cases in four months

RSS

Published

on

By

KATHMANDU— A total of nine cases of rape were registered in four months at Kathmandu Metropolitan Police Circle Bouddha.
The rape cases were registered from mid-July to mid-November 2018.

Deputy Superintendent of Police at Metropolitan Police Circle Bouddha, Narendra Chand shared that the police registered cases against 15 people on the charge of their involvement in rape cases.

An eight-year-old girl to a 67-year-old woman, among others, have filed cases against rape.

Police had arrested and filed case against seven persons on the charge of raping a 12-year girl in a room on the premises of Cricket Ground in Mulpani on November 7.

However, an accused is still at large. The arrested are Bikhasu Tharu, 28, Naresh Kushma, 21, Rajkumar Tharu, 22, Rabin Itani, 21, Rajesh Tharu, 16, Hari Kumal, 19, and Dilliram Tharu, 34.

Likewise, police had arrested Rakesh Shrestha, 40, of Kathmandu Gokarneswor Municipality-6 for raping 8 and 9 years girls on July 26.

According to the data provided by Bouddha police, Hari Timilsina, 49, of Shankharapur Municipality was arrested for raping a 15-year girl and a case was filed against him.

Similarly, a case was registered against Dal Bahadur Shahi, 47, of Shankharapur Municipality on charge of raping a 63-year-old woman.

35-year old Shanbhu Giri of Silugadhi of India was held for raping an 11-year old girl from Kavre.

Among other arrested on the rape charge are Dawa Tamang, 24 of Solukhumbu Dudhkunda Municiplaity-6, Rajan Mandal, 22, of Biratnagar, Madan Pariyar, 39, of Jhapa Gauradaha and Kabi Shrestha, 31, of Dolakha Bhimeswor Municiplaity-8.

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS