Connect with us

Mobile phones are not linked to brain cancer : Australian Study

Gorkha Post

Published

on

SUDNEY — There is no link between mobile phones and brain cancer, says an Australian study.

After inspecting 29 years of mobile phone use in Australia, the research team found no increase in brain cancer incidence compatible with the steep increase in mobile phone use.

In Australia, 9 percent of people had a mobile phone in 1993 – a number which has shot up to 90 percent today. But in the same period, cancer rates in people aged 20 – 84 climbed only slightly in men and remained stable in women.

“We investigated the prominently hypothesized association between brain cancer incidence and mobile phone use,” said the researchers.

For the study, the team looked into the national cancer registry data of 14,222 females and 19,858 males who had been diagnosed with brain cancer from 1982 to 2012. They then compared the information with mobile phone use from the time it was introduced in the country in 1987 to 2012.

“Phones emit non-ionising radiation that is not currently thought to damage DNA – and his findings make him even more confident the devices are not linked to cancer,” said the study’s author, Professor Simon Chapman, of the University of Sydney.

However, the research emphasizes that the increase may not be related to mobile phone use as the uptrend of incidence rate among seniors started in 1982, way before the device came about in Australia.

The study seems to validate other existing researches that show there’s no consistent evidence linking cellphone use to brain cancer, especially since the kind of electromagnetic radiation mobile devices emit is non-ionizing.

Of course, there’s much to learn about how mobile phones really affect and interact with our body, and it’s not likely that the long-heated debate will stop. However, for now, this recent study says your iPhone is completely safe to use.

Continue Reading

Sports

First Roland Macaulay Cup to start on November 21

RSS

Published

on

By

BIRATNAGAR— The First Roland Macaulay Cup is being held in the capital on November 21-24.

To be organized by the Cricket Association of the Blind, Nepal, cricket clubs–Myagdi, Jhapa, Bardiya and Tribhuvan Army–will participate in the First Roland Macaulay Cup twenty20 cricket tournament, said Pawan Ghimire, the Central President of the Association at a press conference here.

The estimated budget is approximately Rs 750,000. The opening match will be held between Jhapa and Bardiya, said the organizer.

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS