Connect with us

Jennifer Lawrence, Darren Aronofsky split after a year of dating

Gorkha Post

Published

on

LOS ANGELES — Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Lawrence, 27, and director Darren Aronofsky,48, have reportedly split over a year of dating.

The two began seeing each other in September shortly after wrapping horror film Mother!, and their relationship continued to blossom despite their 22-year age difference, but the pair’s relationship was only confirmed relatively recently.

In the September issue of Vogue, Lawrence said: “I’ve been in relationships before where I am just confused. And I’m never confused with him.”

The couple, however, kept mum about their relationship while promoting the movie a year later and only posed together at the New York premiere of the film.

Their relationship blossomed during the creation of Aronofsky’s latest film, in which Lawrence was cast in the central role opposite Javier Bardem.

Lawrence, in a Hollywood Reporter podcast episode released Monday, said the couple had maintained a professional distance during the making of the movie in 2016, and only embarked on a relationship once filming had wrapped.

Earlier this month, they sat together at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Governors Awards in Los Angeles, although by then they had already ended their romance.

Lawrence and Aronofsky underwent a grueling promotional schedule ahead of the release of “Mother!” in September, as well as during its first weeks in cinemas, news agencies reported.

Aronofsky was previously with Rachel Weisz for nine years, before the actress married “James Bond” star Daniel Craig. Aronofsky has an 11-year-old son, Henry, with Weisz while Lawrence was previously in relationships with British actor Nicholas Hoult and Coldplay frontman Chris Martin.

Continue Reading

World

Maldives opposition legislator Ibrahim Mohamed Solih wins presidency

Gorkha Post

Published

on

MALE — Maldives opposition legislator Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has beaten incumbent Abdulla Yameen according to provisional results, the country’s Elections Commission says.

Results released by the Elections Commission showed Mr Solih securing 133,808 votes (58.3 percent) compared to the 95,526 for incumbent Abdulla Yameen. The voter turnout was over 88 per cent out of the 262,000-strong electorate.

The Maldives government has acknowledged the opposition’s victory after the vote on Sunday, a surprise defeat for President Abdulla Yameen who was widely expected to win.

There were no other candidates.

Mr Solih had the backing of a united opposition trying to oust Mr Yameen, but struggled for visibility with the electorate, with local media fearful of falling afoul of heavy-handed decrees and reporting restrictions.

“I call on Yameen to respect the will of the people and bring about a peaceful, smooth transfer of power,” Solih said on television, shortly after interim results from the country’s election commission.

“We have won this election with a comfortable majority,” Solih said.

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS