Connect with us

World

Jamal Khashoggi murder tapes were ‘shared’ with multiple countries : Turkey

Gorkha Post

Published

on

ISTANBUL — Turkey has shared recordings related to the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi to Germany, France and Britain, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday, seeking to maintain international pressure on Riyadh over the killing of Khashoggi.

Erdogan,in the first public acknowledgement of the existence of tapes of the slaying, has said that officials from Saudi Arabia, the United States, Germany, France and Britain have listened to audio recordings related to the killing of journalist Khashoggi at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.

President Erdogan also told reporters that Saudi Arabia had to act fairly and disclose those responsible for the killing of The Washington Post journalist to rid itself of ‘suspicion’.

ALSO READ :  Pakistan PM Abbasi 'frisked' at US airport

“We gave them the tapes. We gave them to Saudi Arabia, to America, to the Germans, the French, to the British, to all of them,” Mr Erdogan said.

Khashoggi, a critic of de facto Saudi ruler Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was killed in Saudi Arabia’s Istanbul consulate last month in a hit which Erdogan says was ordered at the “highest levels” of the Saudi government.

His killing provoked global outrage but little concrete action by world powers against Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil exporter and a supporter of Washington’s plans to contain Iranian influence across the Middle East.

Agencies

Continue Reading

Main News

32 dead, 1 missing in Papua attacks, Indonesian police say

AP Associated Press

Published

on

By

JAYAPURA, INDONESIA- Security forces tried to recover the bodies of 31 construction workers and a soldier who were killed in one of the worst separatist attacks in Indonesia’s restive province of Papua, officials said Tuesday.

Papua police spokesman Suryadi Diaz said 24 workers were killed on Sunday when gunmen stormed a government bridge construction project in a remote mountainous village in Nduga district.

Citing reports from several witnesses, Diaz said, eight other workers fled to the nearby house of a local parliament member, but an armed group came a day later and killed seven of them. However the eighth managed to escape and remains missing.

ALSO READ :  10 killed, 73 injured in Turkey train accident

“This is the worst attack launched by the armed criminal group recently amid intensified development by the government,” Diaz told The Associated Press.

Separately, Papua province military spokesman Lt. Col. Dax Sianturi said an armed group attacked a military post in Mbua village in the same district late Monday, killing a soldier and injuring another.

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS