Connect with us


ISIS kills over 280 people in Syria

Gorkha Post



DAMASCUS — The Islamic State (IS) terrorist bunch have killed upwards of 280 individuals when its militants raged a town in Syria’s eastern province of Deir al-Zour on Saturday.

“A horrific massacre” was committed by the IS terrorists in the al-Bughailiyeh neighborhood in Deir al-Zour, where 280 people, largely women, children and elderly, were killed, Xinhua quoted a report by al-Mayadeen TV.

The IS attack on the neighbourhood was carried out earlier on Saturday, with several suicide bombers blowing themselves up at government forces’ positions, the TV said.

Syria’s state news agency SANA also reported the mass killing, saying tens of people were massacred by IS in al-Bughailiyeh.

Meanwhile, the oppositional Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based watchdog group, said the IS snuck into al-Bughailiyeh earlier on Saturday, killing 75 government forces.

The IS attack on the neighbourhood comes amid renewed battles between the IS and the Syrian military forces in several areas in Deir al-Zour, including the vicinity of the main airbase near the Iraqi borders.

Recently, ISIS militants who lost a key town to Iraqi forces were burned alive in full public view by their own men after they fled to the group’s stronghold of Mosul, in a terrifying message to other fighters.

Continue Reading


Britain, France and Germany propose new sanctions on Iran

Gorkha Post



BRUSSELS — Britain, France and Germany have proposed fresh EU sanctions on Iran over its ballistic missiles and its role in Syria’s war, according to a confidential document, in a bid to persuade Washington to preserve the 2015 nuclear deal with Tehran,according to a document seen by the Reuters news agency.

On March 16, Reuters reported the move would be aimed at satisfying demands made by US President Donald Trump and keeping him ‘committed’ to the 2015 nuclear pact that Tehran signed with world powers and from which Trump has threatened to withdraw.

All 28 members must agree to any such sanctions,according to EU rules.

The document, citing specifically Iran’s ballistic-missile tests and its role in supporting Syria’s government in the seven-year-old civil war against Western-backed rebels, said, “We will…be circulating in the coming days a list of persons and entities that we believe should be targeted in view of their publicly demonstrated roles”.

The proposal is part of an EU strategy to save the accord signed by world powers that curbs Tehran’s ability to develop nuclear weapons, namely by showing US.President Donald Trump that there are other ways to counter Iranian power abroad.

Trump delivered an ultimatum to the European signatories on Jan. 12. It said they must agree to ‘fix the terrible flaws of the Iran nuclear deal’ which was sealed under his predecessor Barack Obama or he would refuse to extend U.S. sanctions relief on Iran. US sanctions will resume unless Trump issues fresh ‘waivers’ to suspend them on May 12.

ALSO READ :  ISIS claims Las Vegas attack, FBI says perpetrator had ‘no connection’ to terrorist group

The steps would go beyond what a U.S. State Department cable seen by Reuters last month outlined as a path to satisfy Trump: simply committing to improving the nuclear deal.

European Union foreign ministers will discuss the proposal at a closed-door meeting on Monday in Brussels, diplomats said.

Analysts say the nuclear agreement, touted at the time as a breakthrough reducing the risk of a devastating wider war in the Middle East, could collapse if Washington pulls out.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif struck a defiant note towards Washington on Friday.

“If the United States makes the mistake of pulling out of the JCPOA, it will definitely be a painful mistake for the Americans,” Iranian state television quoted Zarif as saying. The JCPOA is the formal name of the nuclear deal.

Zarif did not refer to the possibility of new EU sanctions.

Continue Reading