Connect with us

World

Interpol chief Meng resigns after detention in China

Gorkha Post

Published

on

PARIS — Interpol chief Meng Hongwei who went missing last week has resigned his from post after it emerged he is being questioned by Chinese authorities, the international police agency said.

The announcement came shortly after China confirmed it has detained Meng, and his wife revealed he sent her an imoji of a knife before he disappeared as a sign that he was in danger.

The development came on Sunday shortly after China said Meng, who went missing 12 days ago, was under investigation for unspecified violations of Chinese law.

The National Supervisory Commission, which handles corruption cases involving public servants in China, said in a statement that Meng “is currently under investigation on suspicion of violating the law.”

ALSO READ :  Thai junior soccer team found alive in cave 9 days after they went missing

“Today, (Sunday 7 October), the Interpol General Secretariat in Lyon, France received the resignation of Mr Meng Hongwei as President of Interpol with immediate effect,” Interpol said in a statement late on Sunday. It, however, did not give a reason for the resignation.

The agency said South Korean national Kim Jong Yang would becomes its acting president, while it would appoint a new president at a November 18-21 meeting of the organisation in Dubai.

Continue Reading

Main News

32 dead, 1 missing in Papua attacks, Indonesian police say

AP Associated Press

Published

on

By

JAYAPURA, INDONESIA- Security forces tried to recover the bodies of 31 construction workers and a soldier who were killed in one of the worst separatist attacks in Indonesia’s restive province of Papua, officials said Tuesday.

Papua police spokesman Suryadi Diaz said 24 workers were killed on Sunday when gunmen stormed a government bridge construction project in a remote mountainous village in Nduga district.

Citing reports from several witnesses, Diaz said, eight other workers fled to the nearby house of a local parliament member, but an armed group came a day later and killed seven of them. However the eighth managed to escape and remains missing.

ALSO READ :  39 killed as explosion destroys two five-storey buildings in northern Syria

“This is the worst attack launched by the armed criminal group recently amid intensified development by the government,” Diaz told The Associated Press.

Separately, Papua province military spokesman Lt. Col. Dax Sianturi said an armed group attacked a military post in Mbua village in the same district late Monday, killing a soldier and injuring another.

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS