Connect with us

Main News

Govt confirms 12 Nepalis killed in Kabul suicide attack, steps up efforts to bring bodies back home

Gorkha Post



KATHMANDU — The Government of Nepal has confirmed that 12 Nepalis among 14 people have been killed in a suicide bomb attack in Kabul on Monday and made public the identity of them.

“We could confirm that only 12 out of 14 people who were killed in the attack are Nepali citizens,” Ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesperson Bharat Raj Paudyal said.

Though it earlier said 14 Nepalis were killed in the suicide attack, the MoFA said it could not confirm the identity of two other victims.

MoFA, however, gave seven names in the list of those injured in the incident. Earlier it was reported that five Nepalis and four Afghans were injured in the terrorist attack carried about by the Taliban insurgents.

They were hired by a private British company to provide security to the Canadian Embassy in the Afghan capital.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Kamal Thapa on Monday briefed Parliament of the deadly incident in Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan.

A Taliban suicide bomber on Monday morning attacked a minibus carrying the Nepalis who were on their way to the Canadian Embassy in Kabul where they work.

According to reports, the suicide bomber blew himself off targeting a minibus ferrying the Nepali security guards.

Terming the attack a crime against humanity, Thapa said diplomatic efforts have been stepped up to bring the bodies back and ensure that the injured get proper treatment, said Thapa.

“Acting Ambassador to Pakistan Tirtha Raj Aryal has been asked to fly to Kabul to take stock of the situation and make arrangements to bring the bodies back,” Thapa said in Parliament.

ALSO READ :  PM Dahal seeks information about Nepalis in foreign jails

Following the incident, Afghan Foreign Minister Salahuddin Rabbani called Thapa and expressed condolence. Thapa has requested the Afghan government to assist in the treatment of the injured Nepalis and sending the bodies.

Suicide bomb attack victims:


Amrit Bahadur Thapa, Lamjung

Dambar Bahadur Tamang, Nuwakot

Chandra Bahadur Rana Magar, Kathmandu

Krishna Bahadur Dhungana, Chitwan

Suka Bahadur Gurung, Syangja
Lil Bahadur Gurung, Nuwakot

Nabin Bahadur Chhetri, Parbat

Akur Tamang, Sunsari

Hari Bahadur Baduwal Chhetri, Kathmandu

Jiwan Singh Thapa, Rupandehi

Madhusudan Koirala, Nuwakot

Bidur Bahadur Subedi Chhetri, Kathmandu

Kumar Bahadur Gurung, Gorkha

Man Bahadur Thapa, Chitwan

Krishna Kumar Deuja, Chitwan

Prem Bahadur Chhetri, Morang

Chet Prasad Sherchan, Myagdi

Amrit Rokaya Chhetri, Surkhet

Chyanwa Tamang, Nuwakot

Continue Reading

Main News

Red corner notice issued against Deepak Manange

Gorkha Post



KATHMANDU — International Criminal Police Organisation (Interpol) has issued red corner notice against fugitive assembly member of province 4 Rajib Gurung alias Deepak Manange.

Nepal Police headquarters had requested Interpol to issue red corner notice against Manange after the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) of Nepal Police report that he was not in the country.

The issuance of red corner notice means police of 192 members countries of Interpol will be searching for Manange.

ALSO READ :  House panel asks govt about human trafficking

Earlier in January, the Supreme Court (SC) had convicted Manange along with three others in attempted murder case of Chakre Milan (Milan Gurung) and sentenced him to five years in prison.

Nepal police then sent documents to the Interpol headquarters on February 22 to issue the notice, which Interpol had refused to issue.

Manange, who was elected as an independent candidate to a provincial assembly seat from Manang district, has had several run-ins with the law on numerous criminal charges in the past.

Continue Reading