NEW YORK — The father of a Paris terror attack victim has filed a claim against Twitter, Google and Facebook for allowing Islamic State (IS) to utilize their stages to spread terrorist publicity, the media covered Thursday.
A lawsuit filed in a federal court in California by the father of Nohemi Gonzalez, a victim of the Paris terror attack in November, charges that Twitter, Facebook and Google “have knowingly permitted the terrorist group ISIS [Islamic State group] to use their social networks as a tool for spreading extremist propaganda, raising funds and attracting new recruits.”
According to Wall Street Journal Reynaldo Gonzalez, whose daughter Nohemi was among 130 people killed in Paris, filed the suit on Tuesday in the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of California. The suit said the companies “knowingly permitted” the Islamic State group, referred to in the complaint as ISIS, to recruit members, raise money and spread “extremist propaganda” via their social-media services.
IS leader Omar Hussain used the social networking website Facebook to recruit members for the Paris attacks, the Mirror reported.
The IS supporters have tweeted photos of dead soldiers with the hashtag #AmessagefromISIStoUS on the micro-blogging site Twitter.
Several beheading videos have appeared on Google-owned video-streaming platform YouTube.
In January, a Florida-based woman filed a lawsuit against Twitter, accusing it of supporting the global spread of the IS by enabling its followers to recruit on its social media platform.
Tamara Fields, whose husband was killed in a lone wolf terrorist attack in Amman, Jordan, in November last year, sued Twitter for damages.
“Without Twitter, the explosive growth of IS over the last few years into the most-feared terrorist group in the world would not have been possible,” she wrote in her lawsuit.
Twitter has knowingly allowed IS to spread propaganda and recruit members, she added.
Twitter rejected the lawsuit`s claims.
“While we believe the lawsuit is without merit, we are deeply saddened to hear of this family`s terrible loss,” a Twitter spokesperson was quoted as saying in a statement.
PM congratulates Nepali national cricket team
KATHMANDU— Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli has congratulated Nepali national cricket team for being able to clinch the International T20 series.
PM Oli in a tweet extended best wishes and congratulations saying he was very happy to know Nepal’s win over the UAE by 14 runs in the third match of the series.
Winning T20 series is another landmark success for Nepali cricket, he said, adding, “It is big achievement for Nepal’s cricket. I would like to heartily congratulate entire members of Nepali cricket squad”.