A South Africa woman is being treated in hospital after being found alive inside a morgue fridge. The woman was taken to Carletonville morgue, in Gauteng province, having been declared dead by paramedics following a road accident.
The woman, who has not been named, is being treated in a hospital east of Johannesburg.
Ambulance company Distress Alert said she had shown ‘no form of life’, South Africa’s TimesLive website reported.
A morgue source told TimesLive a colleague realised the woman was still alive when he checked on bodies in the mortuary fridges.
“When he pulled out the woman’s body, he saw that she was breathing,” the source said.
A family member told the BBC they were in shock.
“As a family we won’t talk about this unless the police, paramedics and the mortuary officials who were involved are present,” the man said.
“The issue is that we need answers, that’s all we want and we don’t have any clarity now.”
Distress Live operations manager Gerrit Bradnick said their paramedics had followed all protocols to check for life, including looking for signs of a pulse and breathing.
“This did not happen because our paramedics are not properly trained. There is no proof of any negligence by our crew,” he said.
The misdeclaration is being investigated by the Gauteng health department.
This is not the first time someone has been found alive after being declared dead in South Africa.
In 2016, a man was declared dead after a car accident in KwaZulu Natal but was found breathing the next day when his family went to view his body.
In 2011, a 50-year-old man woke up inside a morgue and screamed to be let out — at first scaring away attendants, who thought he was a ghost.
Likewise, in January in Spain, a prisoner woke up in a morgue after being certified dead by three doctors.
Doctors remove live cricket from man’s ear canal
Doctors at a hospital in Vietnam shared footage from an unusual case involving a cricket found living inside a man’s ear canal.
The doctors said the man came to the Hai Duong Hospital complaining of ear pain and a look inside his ear canal with an endoscope revealed the cause was a live cricket.
The footage shows the cricket digging around inside the man’s ear canal.
Doctors have successfully removed the cricket, and he is now recovering.
See the video Here.