Connect with us

Science & Technology

China develops Star Wars-style ‘Laser Gun’ that can penetrate into human body from half-mile away

Gorkha Post

Published

on

BEIJING — China said it has built a Star Wars-like laser gun named ZKZM-500 which is capable of causing ‘pain beyond endurance’, according to researchers.

The ZKZM-500 laser assault rifle can strike a target from half-mile away using an energy beam that cannot be seen, causing ‘instant carbonisation of human skin and tissue’.

The weapon includes a silent, invisible ‘energy beam’, that cannot be seen with the naked eye, but can pass through windows and is able to burn clothes in a split second and set a person on fire.

The weapon, which is powerful enough to pass through windows, can burn through clothes in a split second, claim scientists who have not been named due to the sensitivity of the project.

ALSO READ :  Russia, China tighten ties with Iran

According to sources, the rifle is ready to be mass produced and will first be distributed to police anti-terrorism squads – though no date has been given for deployment.

The gun, powered by a lithium battery that can be recharged, can potentially fire 1000 times with each fire lasting two seconds. The gun can also be mounted on cars, boats and planes for varying operations.

It is learnt that the ZKZM-500 is all set for mass production and that the first batch of the guns would be given for anti-terrorism operations as its benefits in hostage situation could be enormous.

At an estimated price of US$15,000 per unit, the gun could also be one of the most expensive when mass produced.

Agencies

Continue Reading

Science & Technology

Google fined $6.8 billion by EU over Android mobile system

Thompson Reuters

Published

on

BRUSSELS — European Union antitrust regulators have fined Google a record 4.34 billion euro ($5 billion) on Wednesday and ordered it to stop using its popular Android mobile operating system to block rivals, a ruling which the United States tech company said it would appeal.

The penalty is nearly double the previous record of $3.7 billion which the US tech company was ordered to pay last year over its online shopping search service.

It represents just over two weeks of revenue for Google parent Alphabet Inc and would scarcely dent its cash reserves of almost $140 billion. But it could add to a brewing trade war between Brussels and Washington.

EU antitrust chief Margrethe Vestager denied anti-US bias, and said she very much liked the US.

ALSO READ :  Google fined $6.8 billion by EU over Android mobile system

“But the fact is that this has nothing to do with how I feel. Nothing whatsoever. Just as enforcing competition law, we do it in the world, but we do not do it in political context,” she said.

Google said it would appeal the fine.

“Android has created more choice for everyone, not less. A vibrant ecosystem, rapid innovation and lower prices are classic hallmarks of robust competition,” it said.

Ms Vestager’s boss, Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, is due to meet US President Donald Trump at the White House next Wednesday in an effort to avert threatened new tariffs on EU cars amid Mr Trump’s complaints over the US trade deficit.

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS