RIO DE JANEIRO — Rio de Janeiro police have swarmed two slums scanning for suspects in the alleged gang rape of a 16-year-old Brazilian girl who said more than 30 men assaulted her in a case that shocked the nation set to host the Olympics.
More than 70 officers used helicopters, armored vehicles and dogs to enter the slums, but there was no word if any suspects had been captured in the operation.
In the five days since a video of the rape was posted by an alleged perpetrator on Twitter and set off a wave of outrage, police have brought in five persons for questioning, but have made no arrests.
Police said there are all the indications that the gang rape occurred on May 21, but they could not yet confirm how many took part.
Over the weekend, women and men marched in several cities to demand justice and decry sexism in Brazilian culture.
Hundreds of demonstrators gathered in downtown Rio on Friday night waving signs saying “Machismo kills” and “No means no”.
In Sao Paulo, protesters erected a mural with messages including “My body is not yours” and “I like to wear necklines, that’s not an invitation to rape me”.
A Supreme Court judge lashed out at a pervasive macho culture that permits such barbaric acts.
“Each and every woman is a victim,” Justice Carmen Lucia said in a written statement.
“Our bodies are tormented, our souls are trashed. That is what these criminals think and do, and they must quickly be held accountable.”
The reported rape came to light in a video of the nude, semi-conscious youth, with a few men brazenly insulting the girl, showing their faces, and one man heard saying, “more than 30 impregnated her!”
The Twitter account where the video was posted has since been suspended.
In an interview with Rio’s O Globo newspaper, the victim said she wanted to see justice done so no other person would have to go through a brutal assault she said she suffered.
Govt to present its policies and programmes Monday
KATHMANDU — The government is preparing to present its policies and programs for the fiscal year 2018/19 at the Federal Parliament on Monday.
According to Joint Spokesperson at the Federal Parliament Secretariat Keshav Aryal, all preparations are over for the release of the government policies and programs to be made by the President Bidya Devi Bhandari from New Baneshwor-based Federal Parliament Building at 4:00 pm Monday.
President Bhandari would unveil the government policies and programs for the first time in the joint meeting of the Federal Parliament after the promulgation of the new constitution.
As per the constitution, the President can address any of the House meeting or the joint meeting of the Federal Parliaments and summon the lawmakers for their presence.
Vice President, top leaders of different political parties, high-ranking government officials, chiefs of the constitutional bodies, chiefs of the security bodies and chiefs of the diplomatic missions in Nepal are invited for the program.Follow @gorkhapost