Sports

Blasts hit Borussia Dortmund football team bus


Borussia Dortmund’s team bus was attacked with explosives on Tuesday shortly before the start of their Champions League clash with AS Monaco, injuring defender player, Marc Bartra, and forcing the match to be postponed by a day.

German police said in a statement they were working on the assumption that the blasts were caused by “serious explosive devices”, which may have been hidden in a hedge near a car park.

They did not elaborate on the possible nature of the devices or say who might have planted them. The police said the incident happened after 7:00pm (local time) in Hoechsten, outside Dortmund.

“According to what is currently known, the windows of the bus were (entirely or partly) smashed and one person was injured,” Dortmund police said.

“It is not yet possible to say exactly what the explosion was or exactly where something exploded.”

The team were on their way to the quarter-final first-leg match, which was called off and rescheduled for Wednesday.

Dortmund said defender and Spanish international Marc Bartra had been taken to hospital, and confirmed he had suffered a broken wrist in the blast.

Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Buerki said the bus had just pulled out of the hotel driveway when an explosion — a “huge bang” — happened and sent glass flying, telling Swiss media he was sitting in the last row of the bus, next to Bartra.

Bartra was hit by shards from the broken back window, he said, adding that players ducked for cover, wondering whether there would be more explosions.

.slidein-overlay.content-59c460f27477a .cp-slidein-body-overlay { background: #fafafa; }
.slidein-overlay.content-59c460f2ccfed .cp-slidein-body-overlay { background: #fafafa; }

Did you like it?

Share this with your friends.