Connect with us


Birtamod back to normalcy after all-party meet

Gorkha Post



JHAPA —  Life in Birtamod, Jhapa, started limping back to normalcy after an all-party meet where the District Administration Office (DAO) agreed to recommend the government to provide Rs 1 million compensation to the family of Naresh Thapa, who was shot dead by police during a protest that was organised on Friday demanding probe into the alleged murder of 11-year-old Laxman Shiwakoti.

The local administration had imposed a curfew in Birtamod after violence erupted in the area when 30-year-old Thapa of Arjundhara-11 was shot dead by police. More than 50 people, including some security personnel, were also injured in clashes.

According to the agreement reached in the meeting, the DAO shall recommend the Home Ministry to provide Rs 1 million compensation to Thapa’s family.

Similarly, Birtamod Municipality and the District Coordination Committee, Jhapa, shall also provide Rs 25,000 each to the families of Thapa and Shiwakoti while the Birtamod Chamber of Commerce and Industry shall provide Rs 10,000 each to the two families.There has also been an agreement to make arrangements for providing Thapa’s widows a job at the municipality.

ALSO READ :  US military rescuers end rescue operations

Besides, it was also agreed that the authorities would recommend investigations into the alleged involvement of Deputy Superintendent of Police Raj Kumar Silwal of Anarmani Area Police Office in the firing incident and Shiwakoti’s death.

Political parties, people’s representatives, journalists and civil society, among others, have been requested to help normalise the situation.

Chief District Officer Rishiram Tiwari, Mayor of Birtamod Municipality Dhruba Kumar Shiwakoti, Deputy Mayor Pabitra Mahatara Prasai, among others, were present at the meeting.

Meanwhile, a high level probe team, formed by the Home Ministry, has initiated investigation into the incident.

Continue Reading


2018 to be marked as high-level visit year : Minister Gyawali





KATHMANDU — Minister for Foreign Affairs Pradip Gyawali has said that the year 2018 would be made the high-level visit year to solicit assistance for economic development.

Minister Gyawali, at an interaction programme in the capital city today, said that the high-level visit would be helpful to collect assistance for Nepal’s development and prosperity.

“Homework to invite Indian PM Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping would begin very soon. Chinese President Xi Jinping was invited in 2016 but his visit could not happen due to change in government. This time, high-level visits from the USA, the UK, Japan and other countries would be arranged,” Minister Gyawali said.

ALSO READ :  Life in Terai returning to normalcy gradually

He also added that the visit from Prime Minister of Pakistan held last month increased goodwill and was concentrated on holding the stalled SAARC Summit.

On the occasion, the Foreign Affairs Minister said that truce in Syria should be held as the children are falling victims to the war.

He also pledged to work to increase Nepal’s access to UN adding that our approach is not established in comparison to Nepal’s contribution to peace keeping mission. Minister Gyawali reiterated his commitment to not allow Nepal’s soil to be used against any nation.

The Foreign Affairs Minister said that Nepal’s relations with China and India would be based on our necessity instead of an alternative to one another.

Continue Reading