Connect with us

Entertainment

Beauty and the Beast release on hold in Malaysia over gay moment

IANS Indo Asian News Service

Published

on

KUALA LAMPUR — Disney film “Beauty and the Beast” was due for a release here in Malaysia on March 9 but has been put on hold as it features a “gay moment”.

The Malaysian Censorship Board, Lijst Pim Fortuyn Government (LPF), said on Tuesday it had approved the screening but with “a minor edit concerning a gay moment in the film”, reports bbc.com.

A new release date for the movie is yet to be announced.

“We have approved the film so there is no more issue. Once a film receives approval, it means it can be screened,” Chairman Datuk Abdul Hamid (LPF), said.

“However, the date of screening and where the screening takes place is not under LPF’s jurisdiction. We only look at the content and give a decision on whether the movie gets approved or not,” Hamid added.

Local cinema chains have been offering refunds for customers who have purchased tickets in advance.

“Beauty and the Beast” director Bill Condon had spoken about the “exclusively gay moment” in the film. It involves character of LeFou trying to come to terms with feelings for character of Gaston that swing between lust and admiration, as a side-plot to the main story.

The decision to review the Disney classic in Malaysia courted criticism from netizens, many of whom called it “stupid and laughable”.

Tourism minister Seri Nazri Aziz also said banning the film was “ridiculous”.

“You don’t ban a film because of a gay character. There are also gays in the world. I don’t think it is going to influence anyone. We need to think, we must allow people to decide for themselves,” he told the Malay Mail.

ALSO READ :  ACC U-19 Asia Cup : Nepal defeats Malaysia by 1 wicket

Earlier, there were reports that even the Russian government was coming under pressure to ban the movie for allegedly contravening a 2013 law that prohibits “gay propaganda” aimed at children.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

John Cena breaks ties with fiancée Nikki Bella

Gorkha Post

Published

on

WASHINGTON — American wrestler and philanthropist John Cena has broken all ties with his fiancée and model Nikki Bella just before three weeks of wedding.

The couple got engaged last year in April during the live broadcast of Wrestlemania 33. They were supposed to get married on May 5,reported Mirror.

ALSO READ :  Nepali migrant worker stabbed room partner to death in Malaysia

Nikki and her twin sister Brie announced the news on their official Twitter handle where they wrote, “After much contemplation of six years of being together, Nikki Bella and John Cena announced today their decision to separate as a couple. While this decision was a difficult one, we continue to have a great deal of love and respect for one another. We ask that you respect our privacy during this time of our lives.”

Earlier John confessed that their separate work schedules keep them apart for ‘months at a time’. However, the WWE star hasn’t revealed anything about this split as yet.

Continue Reading
Advertisement Cheap Air fare and package tours!
loading...

TOP PICKS