Connect with us

World

8 boys rescued from Thai cave

Gorkha Post

Published

on

BANGKOK — The high-risk rescue operation is ongoing for the four boys and their coach who remain trapped in the cave in Thailand. Eight boys have been rescued so far — four boys were rescued Sunday and an additional four emerged Monday.

The first four boys were taken out of the cave Sunday, all of them whisked quickly away by ambulance and helicopter to the closest regional hospital.

The boys are being led out one at a time, each with two divers from an international team of 18, through winding, narrow passageways filled with murky water.

The head of the rescue mission says their plan is based on bringing four people out each day. That’s partly because it takes about 20 hours to re-set all of the oxygen tanks they use inside the cave during the rescues. So it is not clear if all five of those remaining inside will get out on Tuesday.

ALSO READ :  Indonesia quake death toll jumps to 347

Rescuers have been taking the strongest boys out first. It may seem counterintuitive, but the reasoning for that was that officials want the boys who have the best chance of surviving to get through the escape route first.

The boys, ages 11-16, and their 25-year-old coach became stranded when they went exploring inside after a practice game. Monsoon flooding blocked off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for almost 10 days.

Two divers were assigned to each child to help them navigate the dangerous, narrow passageways.

The 12 boys of youth soccer team and their 25-year-old coach disappeared after they went into the cave complex on June 23 and were trapped by rising waters.

They were found more than a week later, stuck on a small, muddy patch deep in the cave’s network of chambers.

Agencies

Continue Reading

Main News

32 dead, 1 missing in Papua attacks, Indonesian police say

AP Associated Press

Published

on

By

JAYAPURA, INDONESIA- Security forces tried to recover the bodies of 31 construction workers and a soldier who were killed in one of the worst separatist attacks in Indonesia’s restive province of Papua, officials said Tuesday.

Papua police spokesman Suryadi Diaz said 24 workers were killed on Sunday when gunmen stormed a government bridge construction project in a remote mountainous village in Nduga district.

Citing reports from several witnesses, Diaz said, eight other workers fled to the nearby house of a local parliament member, but an armed group came a day later and killed seven of them. However the eighth managed to escape and remains missing.

ALSO READ :  15 dead after bus carrying junior hockey team crashes in Canada

“This is the worst attack launched by the armed criminal group recently amid intensified development by the government,” Diaz told The Associated Press.

Separately, Papua province military spokesman Lt. Col. Dax Sianturi said an armed group attacked a military post in Mbua village in the same district late Monday, killing a soldier and injuring another.

Continue Reading

TOP PICKS