ISTANBUL — Explosions in Istanbul’s main internationals airport have left no less than 36 individuals dead and more than 100 injured, Turkey’s Prime Minister Binali Yildirim says, in what appears to be the latest in a string of attacks in Turkey’s biggest city this year.
Three suicide bombers struck at the entrance to the main international airport in Istanbul on Tuesday.
Preliminary findings point to Islamic State as being responsible for the attack, Mr Yildirim said.
“According to assessments so far, 36 people have lost their lives and there were also many wounded,” he told reporters at the site of the attack on Europe’s third-busiest airport.
Turkey’s HaberTurk channel cited Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag as saying 147 people were injured, while private news agency Dogan said 88 were injured. Governor Vasip Sahin earlier told journalists 60 people had been injured.
Pictures posted on social media from the site showed injured people lying on the ground inside and outside one of the terminal buildings.
Footage from broadcasters, including CNN Turk, showed ambulances rushing to the scene.
The blasts sparked panic among passengers, CNN Turk cited witnesses as saying.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called for stepped-up cooperation in the fight against terrorism on Tuesday, following an attack on Istanbul`s Ataturk airport that left at least 36 dead and scores wounded.
Ban “condemns today`s terrorist attack” and “expresses his deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims and to the government and people of Turkey,” his spokesman said in a statement.
The UN chief “stands firmly by Turkey as it confronts this threat and stresses the need to intensify regional and international efforts to combat terrorism and violent extremism.”
“The Secretary-General hopes that the perpetrators of this crime will be identified and brought to justice,” the statement said.
Man divorces wife just 15 minutes after Islamic marriage in Dubai
A man in Dubai divorced his bride just 15 minutes after their Islamic marriage as he felt ‘insulted’ by her father’s bride price demands.
The man agreed to pay his new father-in-law Dh100,000 for their wedding but the older man became impatient to get the cash, DailyMail reported.
According to Gulf News, family members and friends accompanied the couple to a Sharia judge’s office to witness the marriage contract being signed. The groom then gave Dh 50,000 on the spot as agreed, with the rest to come after the party left the court building, according to Gulf News.
But, the bride’s father demanded the remaining cash as soon as the signing was over, even though the groom didn’t have it on him.
He said it would only take five minutes to walk to his car, which was parked outside, and get the rest of the bride price.
Instead of letting him retrieve it, the father insisted him to pay either right then or send a friend or relative to get the money while he stayed inside.
The groom felt insulted and demeaned by the series of demands and called off the marriage immediately, a lawyer handling the case said.
‘He told the bride’s father that he did not want his daughter as his wife and divorced her in less than 15 minutes from signing the marriage contract,’ he said.Follow @gorkhapost