MUENSTER — A van has crashed into people drinking outside a popular bar in the German city of Muenster, killing three people and injuring 20 others before the driver of the vehicle shot and killed himself inside it, police said.
The incident might have been a terrorist attack, the German Rheinische Post said, citing police sources. However, no official confirmation has been issued. A top German security official said there was no indication of an Islamic extremist motive but officials were investigating all possibilities in the deadly crash that took place at 3:27pm (local time).
Six of the 20 injured were in severe condition, according to police spokesman Andreas Bode.
Police confirmed that there have been casualties, but so far not said what happened. The incident has evoked memories of the 2016 Berlin attack, when a truck ploughed through a Christmas market in the city.
“There are deaths and injured. Please avoid the area, we are on scene,” the regional police service said on Twitter, according to news agency Agence France Presse. German authorities were ‘assuming’ the incident was an attack, according to local media reports.
Witnesses said people ran away screaming from the city square after the crash. Police quickly set up a large cordoned-off area for their investigation and ambulances rushed to the site.Follow @gorkhapost
32 dead, 1 missing in Papua attacks, Indonesian police say
JAYAPURA, INDONESIA- Security forces tried to recover the bodies of 31 construction workers and a soldier who were killed in one of the worst separatist attacks in Indonesia’s restive province of Papua, officials said Tuesday.
Papua police spokesman Suryadi Diaz said 24 workers were killed on Sunday when gunmen stormed a government bridge construction project in a remote mountainous village in Nduga district.
Citing reports from several witnesses, Diaz said, eight other workers fled to the nearby house of a local parliament member, but an armed group came a day later and killed seven of them. However the eighth managed to escape and remains missing.
“This is the worst attack launched by the armed criminal group recently amid intensified development by the government,” Diaz told The Associated Press.
Separately, Papua province military spokesman Lt. Col. Dax Sianturi said an armed group attacked a military post in Mbua village in the same district late Monday, killing a soldier and injuring another.Follow @gorkhapost